Alvaro Serrano, M.D.
Dr. Alvaro Hernando Serrano Russi is a board-certified pediatrician and medical geneticist. He found medicine to be a very noble profession during his early years in school. Family tradition also played a part in this decision to practice medicine – his father was an anesthesiologist and intensivist and his sister a neurosurgeon. He was certain that practicing medicine would satisfy his curious spirit and his desire to help people.
Today, Dr. Serrano’s curiosity plays a role in his approach to medicine. He is passionate about inquiry into possible causes, methods of diagnosis and treatment for rare medical disorders. He is approachable, humble, and always willing to listen. Aware of his own limitations, he is always willing to reach out to the scientific community for assistance to continue to provide excellent patient care. He is looking forward to providing expert genetic medical care and education to his patients. He has more than 10 years of experience working with the newborn screening programs at University of Iowa Hospitals and Clinics and Children's Hospital Los Angeles.
His favorite aspect of the region is the peaceful and family friendly environment. The wide-open spaces in this area offer a unique opportunity of contact with nature that will be nurturing for his family.
EDUCATION AND TRAINING
- Fellowships: Medical Genetics, University of Pittsburgh Children's Hospital, Magee Women's Hospital,
Clinical Biochemical Genetics, University of Pittsburgh Medical Center, Children's Hospital Hillman Cancer Center, Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
- Residency: Pediatrics, Saint Barnabas Hospital Bronx, New York
- Doctorate: Military University Nueva Granada, Central Military Hospital, Bogota, Colombia, South America
- American Board of Medical Genetics, Medical Genetics
- American Board of Pediatrics, Pediatrics
- Johnson City Medical Center
- Niswonger Children’s Hospital